Babbling Brooke

Babbling Brooke

Monday, February 21, 2011

A Lesson From Cookie

     Her name is Cookie. She stands tall at 4ft11inches. She wears a cap on her unkept head of hair and she always wears the same pink Tinkerbell sweatshirt. Her pants are too long and they are rolled up 4 or 5 times. When she smiles her teeth are far from perfect. Some teeth are missing and most are crooked. But when she smiles it is the most contagious smile. You can't help but smile back at her. She can be found at the Rifa Soup Kitchen on any given day eating lunch and talking to the others that frequent there. Everyday they have a devotional before lunch and it is optional for anyone interested in attending. She never misses a devotional. After she eats her meal she always sticks around to help sweep the floors or wipe down tables. This is her way of saying "thanks" for the meal. 

   A few weeks ago I was working at the soup kitchen and I got there early enough to attend the devotional. I was so touched to hear a testimony from a man who eats there often. I got to hear  others tell of things they were struggling with and ask for prayers. We were all able to pray together and this was truly such an uplifting boost to my day. At the end of the devotional Cookie walked up to the podium (which was as tall as her) and she began to sing the most beautiful song. The voice that came from this petite woman was truly incredible. I had chills and I was convicted. Before this day I had always viewed Cookie as a woman small in stature, unemployed, unkept. I let my human eyes take over and on this day I was able to see a glimpse of Cookie the way God sees her. Beautiful, Radiant, and she has a HUGE job...a job to minister and witness to the people that she encounters everyday.

   I left the soup kitchen that day feeling guilty for the judgement I had passed on this lady. I am reminded once again today that God uses all people and he doesn't view beauty or importance the way that I do. I am humbled by this lesson and I pray that everyday I will open my eyes more to see like Jesus sees and to love like Jesus loves.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of "Cookies" out there that we usually look right past or look right through. If I see them at all, I see them for what I think they are. I'm thankful that God sees them for what they are. It's sobering to think that He also sees me for what I am!

    ReplyDelete