Babbling Brooke

Babbling Brooke

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

BBQ Nachos with Zucchini Chips


 
 
I was trying to do something different with zucchini other than pasta so I got the idea for nachos.  I had seen on pinterest a recipe for salt & vinegar zucchini chips.  When I saw that a light bulb went off and gave me an idea to make a play on BBQ nachos using zucchini chips.  These were a homerun at our house and we will have these again and again.  The best part is you can use any toppings you like so you can make them many different ways. 
 
 
 
First, to slice the chips, I used a mandolin.  You could use a spiralizer and do the largest spiral setting or a knife and slice the zucchini thin but the mandolin seemed the simplest way for me.  Now, I must warn you that mandolins can be dangerous so please use with extreme caution.  I did this while my kids were napping so that I could pay full attention to the task at hand :) 
 
 
Once you slice your zucchini chips layer them on paper towels so that the water that the zucchinis retain can be absorbed.  Place a paper towel on the top as well, let them sit for 10 minutes and then pat them dry with the top paper towel. 
 
Next spray a baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and then salt and pepper the entire pan.  Next, lay your zucchini chips on the pan.  Now, salt and pepper the tops of your zucchini chips.  Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  You may have to cook your chips in batches depending on how many you have. 
 
 
 
Start slicing and dicing any of your favorite toppings.  I went and got 1/2 a pound of pulled pork BBQ from our favorite BBQ place.  If you are cooking your own meat this would be the time to do that as well.  You could easily do chicken or ground beef.  Also these would be delish with just lots of veggies. 
 
 
 
Once your chips are done cooking put them on the plates and you are ready to start assembling your nachos. 
 
 
 
Ingredients
 
2-3 zucchinis
5 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1 bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup black olives, drained and diced
1/2 cup shredded cheese
dollop of sour cream
dollop of salsa
1/2 lb of chicken, pulled pork or ground beef
 
These nachos were delicious and the best part is we did not have to feel guilty for indulging!! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment